Director of Discipleship: Job Description
The Director of Discipleship at Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church is tasked with helping fulfill ELUMC’s vision to be a community of faith that “loves God and loves others just like Jesus”. The Director of Discipleship is part-time (15 hours per week) and has specific leadership in the following ministry areas: discipleship, pastoral care, and worship leadership.
- Deeply committed follower of Jesus Christ dedicated to the highest ideals of holy, godly living
- A thorough understanding of Scripture and theology consistent with traditional Wesleyan (United Methodist) doctrines and beliefs
- A passion for making disciples and facilitating spiritual growth in the lives members of the church and wider community
- A passion for evangelism and engaging those outside the church to bring the church to them
- A willingness to support the larger plans and vision of Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church
- Flexibility, dependable, energetic, and motivated individual
- Team player with good communication skills
- Ability to manage, equip, and encourage volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree
- Graduate degree or additional training in theology or pastoral ministry preferred
- Ordained or licensed pastor preferred
- Prior experience within a church or other ministry setting preferred
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a discipleship plan that will engage existing ELUMC members and newcomers in a pathway for spiritual growth
- Facilitate a weekly church-wide Bible Study and/or Prayer Group
- Develop practical tools for people to take their next steps in following Christ and share them broadly across the congregation
- Organize Home Groups, recruit facilitators and hosts, resource leaders with curriculum, and participate in a Home Group
- Facilitate Spiritual Growth among existing Sunday School classes, men’s and women’s groups, Bible studies, etc. by teaching on occasion, organizing special events or retreats, inviting new members to engage in groups, and starting new classes as needed
- Work in partnership with the Evangelism / Community Engagement Committee to coordinate outreach and community engagement initiatives and projects that serve as a way to invite people into the life of the church.
- On occasion, serve as liturgist in worship services by leading the church in various aspects of worship such as the Apostles Creed, Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer, etc.
- Upon request by the Senior Pastor, preach at all three morning worship services and/or special mid-week services (i.e. Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, etc.
- As available and/or at the request of the Pastor, participate in and support other church ministries.
- Engage in staff meetings
- Oversee the discipleship budget and present it annually to the church Finance Committee
- Attend Church Council meetings (4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm)
- Work 15 hours per week (including 4 hours on Sundays)
Sick Days – One work week (to include one Sunday) per year. Employee may not carry over sick days. All sick days should be coordinated with the Senior Pastor, and a suitable replacement should be found.
Holidays – not applicable
Vacation Days – One work week (to include one Sunday) per year. Employee may not carry over vacation days. All vacation days should be coordinated with the Senior Pastor and a suitable replacement should be found. After two years of employment, vacation grows to two work weeks (including two Sundays) per year. After an additional two years of employment, vacation grows to three work weeks (including three Sundays) per year.
Compensation: Compensation package is reviewed annually by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee and recommended to the Finance Committee for final approval.
Background Investigation: All applicants shall be subjected to a background investigation to assist in determining suitability for employment.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Final interpretation of job description and responsibilities will be made by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.