Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church (elumc.com) located in Chickamauga, Georgia is a growing church in northwest Georgia seeking a part-time (25 hours per week) Director of Children’s Ministries. Interested candidates should contact Rev. Zach Fitzpatrick at email@example.com.
The Director of Children’s Ministries is responsible for all children’s programs (from birth – 5th grade) of the church. The director will work with children, the pastor, parents, volunteers, and church staff, to plan, coordinate, and lead the children’s activities throughout the year.
- Committed follower of Jesus who feels a call by God into Children’s Ministry
- A love for children and a passion for encouraging children and their families to grow in faith as Jesus’ disciples
- Experience in working with children through church-based children’s ministry, teaching/education in a school setting, or a similar field is preferred
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to recruit, lead, train, and resource volunteers
- Effective communication skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work 25 hours per week.
- In coordination with the pastor, the Church Council and other staff, set the direction for all church children’s programs from birth through 5th Lead the Children’s Council to plan and carry out Children’s Ministry programming and events.
- Learn the names of the children, welcome all of them, and form a relationship with them and their parents. Keep an updated file of children’s and parents’ names and contact information.
- Provide leadership to and recruit and train volunteers for Sunday evening Kid’s Club. Design programming, scheduling, and select/order curriculum. Ensure child check-in, check-out system is used.
- Oversee Kid’s Choir by resourcing Kid’s Choir leaders and recruiting volunteers. In consultation with the pastor, schedule opportunities for Kid’s Choir to sing in worship.
- Provide leadership for Children’s Sunday School at both 9:45 and 11:00 hours. Promote attendance, select/order curriculum materials, and train/support teachers.
- Supervise Nursery Director and nursery staff.
- Provide oversight to Safe Sanctuary policies, plan training sessions for volunteers, ensure procedures are understood and followed by volunteers.
- Support and supervise volunteer leaders (Kid’s Club, Sunday School, Kid’s Choir, special events, etc.) by conducting regular meetings for planning, programming, and implementing children’s programs.
- Plan, schedule, and attend special events for children (i.e. Vacation Bible School, Easter Egg Hunt, Fall Festival, a day of camp at Camp Lookout in June, 5th grade trip to Camp Rock Solid at Camp Glisson, GROW Day Camp at Rock Spring UMC, Summer Movie Day, Pizza Day, Swim Day, Game Night, Kids Night Out, etc.). In cases where the van will be used, ensure van drivers for events are on approved driver list in the church office.
- Purchase and prepare Bibles for presentation to third graders each August.
- Coordinate with the Youth Director to align programs through the church ministry.
- Coordinate with the Ministry Assistant and/or pastor to develop publicity for children’s activities through the newsletter, bulletin, website, mailings, graphics, etc. Provide materials to the church office on time.
- Attend training and workshops for personal spiritual growth and to stay informed on the most effective ways to implement children’s ministry.
- Be responsible for use of the children’s program budget. In consultation with the Children’s Council and Finance Committee, submit budget requests for the following year. Attain necessary purchase orders beforehand and submit receipts (with 2 signatures) to treasurer promptly after purchase.
- Attend monthly Church Council meetings, lead Children’s Council meetings, and attend other business meetings of the church as needed to report on children’s ministry.
- Be present on Sunday mornings. In addition to overseeing Sunday School, on occasion assist the pastor in leading worship. Presence in worship is important.
- Recruit and manage online background checks with Smart-Trak. Submit names and results to the church office for the file.
- Perform other duties as requested by the pastor and/or Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
Vacation, Sick Days, and Holidays:
- Vacation – for the first three years of service employee is eligible for one week (to include one Sunday) of vacation. After three years of service, employee is eligible for two work weeks (to include two Sundays) of vacation. Employee may not carry over vacation days. All vacation days should be coordinated in advance with church secretary and the pastor, and a suitable replacement should be found.
- Sick Days –one work week (to include one Sunday) per year. Employee may not carry over sick days. All sick days should be coordinated with church secretary and the pastor, and a suitable replacement should be found.
- Holidays – not applicable.
- An “Out of Office” form is to be filled out for any scheduled absences.
Compensation package is reviewed annually by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee and recommended to the Finance Committee for approval.